Thursday, July 22, 2010

Is Redemption in Sight?


I read two full (ok they were short) books this week! I feel that this somehow/somewhat makes up for the fact that the last two books I read took up almost two months. This week I read A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym and The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield. Both authors are darlings of Virago Modern Classics and their books are centered around parochial life in 1950s London and 1930s English Countryside respectively. Lots of wry British humor and unfulfilled women. Reviews to follow.

Why is it that all newly on-the-wagon former (?) slackers feel the need to advertise their every accomplishment? LOOK AT ME, I used to spend hours watching Miss Marple on Netflix play-instantly, but Today I did my laundry, read a real Book, and wore matching socks because I am now a Responsible Adult. This attitude is never wise and will inevitably lead to Falling Off The Reading/Accomplishment Wagon, more Miss Marple, and Tears.

In fact, the effort of putting my Completed Book back on the shelf and selecting a new one and, in the process, contemplating the staggering enormity of my literary accomplishments has left me in desperate need of a nap...

(Note: must seek to acquire less self-congratulatory sense of discipline like Saint Jerome, who you can tell got a lot of reading done. Also I want a lion friend. Painting by Jan van Eyck ca. 1435.)

No comments:

Post a Comment